Suppose we have a Processor XYZ with the following specifications:
- Processor speed is 1 GHz.
- It takes 2500 clock cycles to carry out a context switch followed by starting an Interrupt Service Routine (ISR).
- To execute an ISR, 5000 cycles are required.
- The device makes 100 interrupt requests per second.
- Moreover when there are no interrupts, the processor polls for every 0.7 milli-sec and 300 cycles are required to poll an I/O device.
Students are required to calculate:
- No of cycles/sec the processor spends for handling I/O provided interrupts are used only.
- Percentage of CPU time used in interrupts handling.
- No of cycles/sec spent in I/O when polling is also used with interrupts.
- How frequently the processor polls so that it incurs the same overhead as interrupts.
DOWNLOAD SOLUTION HERE