Q1. There are different purposes of writing a document i.e. to inform, to persuade, to describe, to prohibit, and to instruct. Read the following paragraphs carefully and choose the purpose of writing from the given options. (05*2=10 Marks)
- Democrats should get maximum votes this time as they have worked really hard. They have passed health care bill which is going to make it easier and cheaper for you to get insurance, if you happen to be self-employed, working part-time, or working for an employer who does not provide coverage. If you are a young person, you can now stay on your parents’ plan until you are 26 years old. These are big, important changes.
- An employer must provide a working environment which is reasonably practical, safe and without any risks to health. In addition, employers have to assess risks and introduce any necessary prevention or control measures.
- The Sunis a star at the center of the Solar System. It is a nearly perfect sphere of hot plasma, with internal convective motion that generates a magnetic field via a dynamo process. It is by far the most important source of energy for life on Earth. Its diameter is about 1.39 million kilometers i.e. 109 times that of Earth and its mass is about 330,000 times that of Earth, accounting for about 99.86% of the total mass of the Solar System.
- With a view to emphasize NAB’s commitment and to express nation’s resolve to meet the future challenges and involve people of the country in the fight against corruption, National Accountability Bureau under the mandate of section 33C of National Accountability Ordinance, 1999 is intensifying its awareness campaign against corruption and is using various platforms to spread its anti-corruption messages.
- Drugs should not be used at all because they tear families apart; they are addictive, and destroy lives. Since these problems can develop from any kind of substance abuse, there should be a national prohibition of all forms of drugs, even medical or “soft” drugs.
Q2. Effective writers make the audience believe that the most important person in their business correspondence is “you,” the reader. Carefully read the body of the following letter and reproduce it with “Reader-Centered Approach” i.e. the “You Attitude”.
Our company is pleased to announce the loan scheme for house building. In this regard, we can provide the readily available information round the clock.
We can provide the loan in installments and on annual timeframe, whichever is feasible. We can provide information via telephone and through our website. We ensure quick services in terms of availing the loan plus giving loan-information.
In case of any dissatisfaction, our company can be contacted by you. We appreciate your willingness and relationship with our company.