Q.1. Read the following memorandum and answer the questions given below:
Marks 2+2+2+4 = 10
As I’ve conversed with many of you over the past several months, I’ve frequently heard you inquire, “Are we attempting to manufacture too many new products? Do we really require such an extensive line?”
My initial response is to emphasize the importance of altering our company’s image. To obtain our share of the market, we must rectify the faults of the past. We must be perceived as a company willing to institute innovations and progress into new areas.
I’m confident that if you scrutinize the matter, you will discover that I am correct.
- What is the subject of this memo? Restrict your response to one line. (2)The subject of this memo The subject of this memo is Altering Company Image. In this memo writer tells company employees how we can clear the faults of the past and importance to change our company image by to obtain our share of market.
- Name the TWO Seven C’s which are not clearly followed by the writer while writing the message. (2)
Solution: Concrete :When your message is concrete, then your audience has a clear picture of what you’re telling them. There are details (but not too many!) and vivid facts, and there’s laserlike focus. Your message is solid.
Coherent : When your communication is coherent, it’s logical. All points are connected and relevant to the main topic, and the tone and flow of the text is consistent.
These TWO Seven C’s which are not clearly followed by the writer while writing the message.
- What is the problem with the tone of this memo? (2)
- What kinds of connotations are conveyed by the underlined words? Identify them as positive or negative connotations. (4)
Q.2. Rewrite the statements after correcting/omitting the italicized words/phrases which are in contradiction with the given information. (5)
- A denotation is hardly the dictionary definition of a word.
- To be courteous means to be tactful, thoughtful, appreciative and carefree.
- The suitable length of a sentence is 20-30 words per sentence.
- The scholarly writing is usually informal writing carrying objective information.
- Incorrect words and grammar, faulty pronunciation and suitable diction are signs of substandard language.
1. A DENOTATION IS THE DICTIONARY DEFINITION OF WORD (WORD ‘HARDLY’ IS omitted)
2. TO BE COURTEOUS MEANS TO BE TACTFUL, THOUGHTFUL AND APPRECIATIVE (‘CAREFREE’ IS omitted)
3. A SUITABLE LENGTH IS 17-20 WORDS PER SENTENCE (20-30 IS REPLACED BY 17-20}
4. THE SCHOLARLY WRITING IS USUALLY FORMAL WRITING CARRYING OBJECTIVE INFORMATION (‘INFORMAL IS REPLACED BY ‘FORMAL’)
5. INCORRECT WORDS AND GRIMMER, FAULTY PRONUNCIATION AND UNSUITABLE DICTION ARE SIGN OF SUBSTANDARD LANGUAGE (PHRASE “SUITABLE DICTION’ IS omitted)
DOWNLOAD SOLUTION HERE