Q.1 Write an analogy paragraph of 150-200 words describing the process of ‘Reading a good book’
Note: In the analogy paragraph, use a valid analogy to describe the process of book reading. Avoid using a weak analogy.
Analogy examples with corresponding meanings are the best way to show the meaning of the word “analogy.” The following is a list of some common analogies and an explanation of their meaning.
- The relationship between them began to thaw. This means that the relationship was changing.
- You are as annoying as nails on a chalkboard. You must be pretty annoying for someone to say that.
- I am going to be toast when I get home. This is usually said when someone is in trouble with their significant other.
- He is like a rock. This means he is steadfast and strong.
- She attended the celebrity roast. The person being roasted is being honored by people making harmless jokes about him or her.
- I feel like a fish out of water. This implies that you are not comfortable in your surroundings.
- She was offended when I said she was as flaky as a snowstorm. That isn’t a very nice comparison to make.
- There are plenty of fish in the sea. Unless you really are a fish, this encourages you to move on and find another potential mate.
- She was as quiet as a mouse. It is hard to hear a mouse, so that means she was very quiet.
- Bing Crosby had a velvet voice. Since voices are not made of velvet, this implies that his voice was smooth and soothing.
- Life is like a box of chocolates. This has many meanings and is a great analogy for life.
For examples that would be particularly fun and informative for children, check out Analogy Examples for Kids.
Many famous people have also used analogies to explain their positions or their opinions on an issue. For instance, consider the following analogy examples:
- “I am to dancing what Roseanne is to singing and Donald Duck to motivational speeches. I am as graceful as a refrigerator falling down a flight of stairs.” – Leonard Pitts, “Curse of Rhythm Impairment” Miami Herald, Sep. 28, 2009
- “If you want my final opinion on the mystery of life and all that, I can give it to you in a nutshell. The universe is like a safe to which there is a combination. But the combination is locked up in the safe.” Peter De Vries, Let Me Count the Ways
- “Writing a book of poetry is like dropping a rose petal down the Grand Canyon and waiting for the echo.” – Don Marquis
- “They crowded very close about him, with their hands always on him in a careful, caressing grip, as though all the while feeling him to make sure he was there. It was like men handling a fish which is still alive and may jump back into the water.” – George Orwell, A Hanging
- “Withdrawal of U.S. troops will become like salted peanuts to the American public; the more U.S. troops come home, the more will be demanded.” – Henry Kissinger in a Memo to President Richard Nixon
- “… worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.” – Baz Luhrmann,Everybody’s Free (to Wear Sunscreen)
- “Dumb gorgeous people should not be allowed to use literature when competing in the pick-up pool. It’s like bald people wearing hats.” – Matt McGrath from the movie Broken Hearts Club
Q.2 Parts of the following sentences are written in bold type. Select the right option which shows how that part should be punctuated. (5 Marks)
1. I could do it however I will not do it.
a) it: however, I
b) it; however, I
c) it, however, I
2. The Chihuahuan Desert has summer rainfall the Mojave Desert has winter rains.
a) rainfall; the
b) rainfall: the
c) rainfall, the
3. Dogs bark when they are frightened I don’t like that.
a) frightened; I
b) , frightened I
c) frightened, I
4. The UConn women’s basketball program is among the nation’s best however they play in one of the weaker conferences.
a) best; however, they
b) best, however, they
c) best, however; they
5. “My Old Kentucky Home a tune by Stephen Foster is Kentucky’s state song.
a) Home” a tune
b) Home”, a tune
c) Home,” a tune
2) rainfall, the
3) frightened, I
5) Home”,a tuneDOWNLOAD SOLUTION HERE