Part a) Write down the difference between a data warehouse and a data mart? 3 marks
- Holds multiple subject areas
- Holds very detailed information
- Works to integrate all data sources
- Does not necessarily use a dimensional model but feeds dimensional models.
- Often holds only one subject area- for example, Finance, or Sales
- May hold more summarised data (although many hold full detail)
- Concentrates on integrating information from a given subject area or set of source systems
- Is built focused on a dimensional model using a star schema.
Part b) Identify the type and usage of given below diagram. Also explain the complete scenario of the diagram in your own words. (10 marks)
Solution: Dimension values are organized into hierarchies.
Part c) Explain how the evolution of database technology led to data mining. (2 marks)
Database technology began with the development of data collection and database creation mechanisms
that led to the development of effective mechanisms for data management including data storage and
retrieval, and query and transaction processing. The large number of database systems offering query
and transaction processing eventually and naturally led to the need for data analysis and understanding.
Hence, data mining began its development out of this necessity.