STA630 VU Quiz No 1 Fall 2012
Question # 1
The logic of qualitative data analysis is described as:
Question # 2
Which of the following is least likely to occur as an ethical problem with e-research?
1: People are not likely to be able to stop once they have begun participating.
2: Informed consent cannot be completely monitored.
3: Debriefing could be avoided.
4: Privacy could be invaded.
Question # 3
What is the first step in the research process?
1: Preliminary data collection
2: Problem definition
3: Theoretical framework
4: Define broad problem area
Question # 4
The number of people who complete a survey in relation to the number of people contacted to participate is called the:
1: Response set
2: Response rate
3: Response bias
Question # 5
A researcher developed a measure of shyness and is now asking whether this measure does in fact measure a person’s true state of shyness. This is a question of:
2: Construct validity
4: Content validity
Question # 6
The following journal article would be an example of _______ research; “The benefits of florescent lighting on production in a factory setting.”
Question # 7
Which of the following is a research method that allows a researcher to get information about a large number of subjects relatively inexpensively and easily?
1: Naturalistic observation
2: Case study
3: Laboratory observation
Question # 8
The researcher protects the confidentiality in following ways, Except;
1: Obtaining signed nondisclosure documents.
2: Restricting access to data instruments where the respondent is identified.
3: Disclosure of data subsets.
4: Restricting access to respondent identification.
Question # 9
The independent variable is;
- The variable manipulated in order to observe its effects
- The variable that is measured
- The free spirited variable
- A confounding variable
Question # 10
A measure has high internal consistency reliability when:
- Multiple observers make the same ratings using the measure.
- Participants score at the high end of the scale every time they complete the measure.
- Multiple observers obtain the same score every time they use the measure.
- Each of the items correlates with other items on the measure.
Question # 11
When doing research involving deception with human subjects, researchers have an obligation to do which of the following?
- Tell subjects the truth about the study’s purpose and methods after the study is completed
- Prevent mental and physical harm to subjects
- Let subjects withdraw from the study at any time if they don’t want to keep participating
- All of the given options
Question # 12
The findings from a study of decision making processes within a UK financial services company can be generalized to:
- Decision making processes in all financial services companies
- Decision making processes in the all UK companies
- Decision making processes in the researched companies
- Companies all over the world
Question # 13
A variable is:
- Any characteristic of interest that can take on more than one value
- Defined as the groups manipulated in experimental research
- The complete set of scores we use in statistical analysis
- Completely specified only in observational research
Question # 14
Which of the following is an example of a dilemma that might face feminist business researchers conducting qualitative interviews with women?
- What role to adopt when interviewing male managers?
- How many female employees should be interviewed for a representative sample?
- How to overcome the issue of false consciousness?
- What data to use when publishing findings?
Question # 15
Research questions are crucial because they will:
- Guide your decisions about what data to collect and from where.
- Help you decide which research area interests you.
- Ensure that your findings have external validity.
- Prevent you from thinking about research strategies.